On February 11th, Katie, Krissy, and I competed in the First Annual Great Valentine Race in Cumming. Our hubbies entered too and brought the babies and we all had a great time. The morning of the race was questionable weather and as we were all standing at the starting line it began to sleet! It was already beyond freezing but once the rain began I was wondering why on earth we signed up for this race! Thankfully the stroller we borrowed from Matt and Halie had an all weather tarp so Carter was tucked in and safe from the elements. Once the race began we had to wind our way through all the walkers to get into a comfortable running pace. I regret starting at the back of the pack because we wasted a good thirty seconds waiting to even cross the line. Once we got around all the slow pokes, Linc and I were able to make up some time and get in the groove. The first two miles were really tough because of the sleet and the ridiculous hills but we trucked on and really pushed through. Having to run with Carter is a whole new experience but thankfully Linc took him for most of the uphill climbs. I was so thankful that the last mile was mostly downhill and we crossed the finish line holding hands! Our official time was 29:22 and we managed to beat my goal even with an extra 50lbs ;)
After the race we packed up as fast as we could and headed over to Dutch Monkey Donuts! We had a yummy celebration breakfast with the Reeders and the Bignons! It was such a fun race and I’m glad we could do it with our friends. Even though the weather was less than ideal, I am so happy with the results! I was laughing to myself because even though I have competed in a triathlon, this was my very first 5k! I did things a little backwards and didn’t really catch the running bug until after we’d raced this summer. This was also Linc’s first 5k and I’m glad we could do it together. We already signed up for another race at the end of March and will hopefully have our own jogging stroller to use by then!
go girl! XOXO
ReplyDeleteYall did awesome!!! So fun you could cross the finish holding hands! And I totally forgot this was your first 5k....silly girl doing a triathlon before a 5k :)
ReplyDeleteYou did so well and that was such a fun way to celebrate vday with our families!
ReplyDelete