……………was a horrible disaster of a day!
It started off so promising! C woke up in a great mood so excited to go see his teacher and meet his new friends. We got all dressed up, ate a nice family breakfast, posed for a few photos, and headed out together to the driveway. That’s where the first problem began. C wanted to bring his blankie to school but since Linc was dropping him off I wouldn’t have any way to get it back. This made C very upset and kind of set him off in a bad mood. I was headed to my twenty eight appointment so I had to say good bye to my sad boy and be on the way. Linc brought C to school and walked him into his classroom.
They put all of C’s things away, snapped some quick pictures, and Linc said goodbye. He said C’s eyes turned red right away and his lip began quivering. Our brave boy only cried for about a minute though before his teacher was able to distract him with puzzles. Linc listened from the hallway and when he heard C settle down went ahead and left for work, calling me on the way to update on how drop off went. I was at my appointment and sobbed quietly in the waiting room that I missed my little’s first day. I was already heartbroken so imagine how much worse it was when I got a call from the director of C’s school two hours later to come pick up my baby! She said he was having a rough time and even though the morning started off ok, after snack he was inconsolable and wouldn’t settle down. They tried what they could, but it was time to come get him and end his first day early. I sped down the road and ran to his classroom. His poor, pitiful little voice repeated “Mama, mama, mama.” over and over as I hugged him and he cried into my shoulder. He tried to calm himself down while I talked with his teacher and we agreed that he should come back again in two days for an hour to see how he does. I called Linc and he ended up leaving work to come give C some loving too so that he knew we didn’t abandon him!
Despite all the crying, C managed to eat a yummy snack, color a few pictures, and create a really cute “Kissing Hand” collage that we’ll get to bring home once it dries. We also took him out for a super special lunch where he gobbled up every single bite! I knew this transition was going to be hard but I certainly didn’t expect it to be like this! I feel so bad for my little man and just hate to put him through all of this stress. I know eventually he will settle in and really love school, but I really hope it’s sooner rather than later!!!!!! Our plan for now is go back for an hour or so every other day until he becomes more comfortable staying in his classroom for longer periods of time. Please send up a prayer for my little that things calm down. Hoping my next update about school will be about how much he loves it ;)
:(
ReplyDeleteDefinitely praying that it gets easier. It's SO tough to start going to a new school. We've been there too, and it's hard for the little guys and their parents. :)
ReplyDeleteoh no! this breaks my heart!! we start next week and I am not yet sure if I can go either. I know he will warm up to them soon and be loving it!
ReplyDeleteHang in there. It will get easier each time and before you know it, he won't shed a tear!! Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteWould you be interested in designing a new blog design/look for me? I love your design, and I'd be willing to pay you for it. You did a great job with yours! ;)
ReplyDeleteOh no, so sorry to hear this. I hope it gets better for him soon! I'm sure we'll have a similar story when Asher starts in 2 weeks. I think the length of time away is the hardest part for the little guys. I'm sure he will love it soon! Hang in there!
ReplyDelete